Every Saturday – 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
For more information: 954-429-0378
The James D. and Alice Butler House is a historic home in Deerfield Beach, Florida. It is located at 380 East Hillsboro Boulevard. On July 28, 1995, it was added to the U.S.National Register of Historic Places.
This Mediterranean Revival style building was the home of Deerfield Beach pioneers and civic leaders, James D. and Alice Butler. The plans for the house were obtained from a popular ladies magazine, the Ladies Home Journal of September 1923. It cost $10,000.00 to build and it is situated on almost four city lots. The house is built of hollow tile, the interior walls are plaster on lath and the roof is made from Spanish terra cotta tiles.
The Butlers married in 1906 in Texas and came to Deerfield Beach in 1910 on a visit and stayed to become two of Deerfield Beach’s most popular and public-spirited citizens. When Broward County was formed in 1915, Mr. Butler was a member of the first school board. For eight years he served on the Broward County Board of County Commissioners and for four years on the Deerfield Beach City Commission. He died in 1965. Mrs. Butler helped found the Deerfield Beach Woman’s Club and they both assisted in the establishment of the First Baptist Church of Deerfield. She died in 1965.
The historic Butler House has been completely restored. It contains many of the original furnishings with the exception of the dining room table that was replaced after the first one was used to board up the west dining room window during the 1928 hurricane. Furnishings include the wicker furniture purchased by the Butlers in 1923 for $500.